This is one of my favorite recipes - it's simple, inexpensive, very tasty, and involves rice and beans. I'm a big fan of rice and beans. The only thing Indian style about this is the choice of primary seasonings; cumin and tumeric. It just makes for a good name. This makes enough for about eight large servings:
- 1.5 cups of brown lentils
- 5 cups of water
- 1 bullion cube
- generous sprinkling of cumin
- very generous sprinkling of tumeric
- 1 to 3 Country Natural Beef hot dogs, 1/4" rounds
- 1/2 to 1 onion, diced (optional)
- assorted vegetables or greens, such as carrots, spinach, swiss chard, etc. (optional)
Wash the lentils, add water, bullion cube, spices, and optional onion, and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 35-45 minutes. Add hot dogs at the 15 minute mark. Add other vegetables and greens after a suitable amount of time: carrots should cook for about 10-15 minutes, greens for only a minute or two, etc.
Serve over white or brown rice. If you like a mild spicy flavor, I highly recommend The Wizard's Organic Hot Stuff Piquante Sauce, which seems to complement the other flavors in this dish very well. Or a sprinkling of cayenne powder after cooking is good if you're looking for straight up spiciness.
Post a Comment