All Butter Crust for Sweet and Savory Pies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, very-cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 to 8 Tbsp very cold water
- Sift flour and salt into bowl.
- Cut shortening and butter into 4 to 5 pieces and drop into bowl.
- Attach bowl and flat beater.
- Turn to Stir Speed and cut shortening into flour until particles are size of small peas, about 30 seconds.
- Add water, a tablespoon at a time, until all particles are moistened.
- Use only enough water to make pastry form a ball.
- Watch dough closely as over mixing will result in a tough crust.
- Chill in refrigerator 15 minutes.
- Roll to 1/8-inch thickness between pieces of waxed paper.
- Fold pastry into quarters; ease into pie plate and unfold, pressing firmly against bottom and side.
- Trim and crimp edges.
- Fill and bake as desired.
- For Baked Pastry Shell:
- Prick sides and bottom with fork.
- Bake at 450F for 8 to 10 minutes until light brown.
- Cool completely before filling.
A lovely coating for a pie can be achieved with a simple egg wash.
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream, half and half, or milk
- 1 large egg yolk
Beat egg yolk with cream and brush on the surface of the pie with a pastry brush.